kasyfi

How Do You Handle An Obsession?

I have to admit that I’m as guilty as the next Muggle when it comes to fixating on Harry Potter. But given all the Book 7 hysteria last month, and seeing the continuous stream of Harry Potter content on the internet this August, I started thinking about what it means to be obsessed.?

Looking on some blogs and webs, I see there is some confusion as to what an obsession really is. Many believe that obsessions are just plain bad, but others claim there can be healthy obsessions. Some obsessions fall into the bizarre category and some seem pretty harmless.

While “obsession†has a mostly negative connotation, some people suggests a way to turn a potentially bad obsession into a good thing. This may not work for everyone, especially if an obsession interferes with another part of your life, but some may find that their obsession is really just a great appreciation for something. That’s what I think of my Harry Potter craze.

What are your obsessions?

Crazy on coffee..

I cant really understand what obsessions really mean, but in dictionary.com, it stated that:

1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

2. the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.

3. the state of being obsessed.

4. the act of obsessing.

I have a lot of obsessions:

1) I obsess on pretty/cute girls. If i meet them, i just like to watch at her and cant stop thinking (i settle this by telling someone else, or meeting/messaging/chatting with my pretty girl-friends.This is weird, i know :P )

2) Speeding (driving) (i settle this by, doing it hehe.Bad ehh, i know)

3)What's next? cant tell ya haha

I have obsession at Internet & Foruming.

When I got using my Internet & Foruming I would be very happy!

I`m not obsess at (-) negative situation, but i have obsess at (+) positive obsession.

So, It would be end here. GoodBye....

What are your obsessions?

Oh I don't even know where to start. I have too many of it. I am most obsessed with music and technology. I got my ear phone plunge to my ear almost 10 - 12 hours a day. Once I arrived home, my laptop will be my next "victim", music will be playing continuously until I almost fall a sleep. Most of the time I'll buy an album from artists I have no idea who they are. But strict to certain genre thou.

Technology, another obsession of mine. I can stuck over the internet for hours and hours reading news regarding latest technology. From hardware, software, every little thing.

Finally, programming. Although not much of an obsession but I always have desire to learn or at least finding out new languages. Some just didn't get it, but I find it exciting B)

Edited by SHiDi

IMHO, there's a reason why they differ the words obsession and plain appreciation. An obsession is when somebody crossed the line of appreciation and go beyond what's supposed as appreciation. How do I handle it? I can't really handle it, but I'm not sure if I got one.

I have an obsession. Actually i dont even know if its really an obsession. I call it 'appreciation'. Ok maybe 'intense appreciation'....... Ok fine its an obsession!!

How do i handle it ? I dont. Maybe it has to hit me real hard first for me to do something about it.

Cik Bedah

Temerloh.....

I have an obsession. Actually i dont even know if its really an obsession. I call it 'appreciation'. Ok maybe 'intense appreciation'....... Ok fine its an obsession!!

How do i handle it ? I dont. Maybe it has to hit me real hard first for me to do something about it.

Cik Bedah

Temerloh.....

...and it is.....love?

Love ?

Hmmm... well i once heard or may be it was written somewhere that Love Is An Obsession Over Someone Or Something. I kinda agree with that because i does sound natural .. doesnt it ? But i guess in our case here, we're talking more about being 'in love' with IT, not with HIM/HER type of obsession.. right ?

Soooo....my obsession is.....choc brownies!! I am obsessed with choc brownies ever since 2 years ago. I crave for chocbrownies/brownies. There i said it. I confessed. Arrest me already! Oyhhh... being obsessed with (and obviously in love with eating) brownies is like sitting on a timebomb that will explode into carbohydrate overweightness! Lucky me it hasnt happened but it sure is one huge risk im betting my life on.

Who has obsession over choc brownies ???... People have obsession over fast cars, video games, online games, brad pitt, shoes, fashion, anime and McDreamy... but i have obsession over McChocbrownies. McWeird isnt it McYall ???.

Has anyone seen that series The Closer (Kyra Sedgwick) ? I am like the main character except shes on sugar and im on brownies. By the way, in case youre asking ... this is not an addiction...its an obsession.

Anyway......brownies negate everything good/healthy i eat. So, i want to do better. Im putting away this brownie jar... right now.... (like dhuhhh...)

Cik Bedah

Temerloh...

Edited by abedahmatusin

Well said cik bedah..i like brownies too, but i preferred cone ice-cream whenever i had money in my pocket :) Lately i sort of realized that i'm addicted to computer game..i may've realized it earlier subconciously but i sort of ignored that until one day i made a stupid decision to step out of my study at a local uni. Whenever i looked back into my past, i pissed off by the fact that i actually couldn't control my addiction to computer game. Darn! Guess i learnt it the hard way am i?

Cik Bedah

Temerloh.....

AHHHHH... I knew it.. I know that she would talk about chocolate.... again..

LoL... :lol:

Anyway cikbedah, I've been watching Ellen DeGeneres's show (the stand up show, not the Ellen TV show..)

and she really is a funny woman, very talented...even that the fact that she is gay, but man you really can't deny her all sold out humors..

and in one show of hers that I've watched, she talked about Procrastination....

Now guys, Cikbedah, in some way maybe do you ever think that Procrastination might feel so good in this hectic global crazy world?? I believe we all have always set our minds that if one procrastinates things or work, one will be left behind... Bcos todays world is about competing with one another and time....

So what do ya think?

Edited by kasyfi

AHHHHH... I knew it.. I know that she would talk about chocolate.... again..

Am i that transparent ????

...... in some way maybe do you ever think that Procastination might feel so good in this hectic global crazy world?? I believe we all have always set our minds that if one procastinates things or work, one will be left behind... Bcos todays world is about competing with one another and time....

So what do ya think?

Hihihihi ... this is one serious serious question! Are we going live on air right now ??? :P Kiddddingggg.......

Owh well ... honestly, i have never given "procrastination" that much thought. Yes i procrastinate sometimes but things that i procrastinate didnt really have that big impact on how positive or negative my life turns out. I mean, i procrastinate grocery shopping....dhuhhh...how negative can that be...

Its a general truth that procrastination isnt a positive act. Those who practise it should know that they are delayed and get left behind compared to others. But in a more hip world of today, especially in the world of entertainment, procrastination is a popular vanity. It translates into pop culture. "Fashionably late", "running interference".... popular variation of procrastination. But in a more rigid world especially the world of 9-5, it translates to one's efficiency.

Personally, i'd procrastinate when its convenient for me... and when nothing else is in jeopardy.

Ok this is weird ... talking about procrastination..... But really, how is this procrastination issue related to the topic ? Im kinda lost here. Are we looking at procrastination as an obsession ?

Anyway... Ellen is cool.

Cik Bedah

Temerloh....

ahhh..I just realized that I spelled 'Procrastination' wrong...and ahhh tell you that I just did some procrastination when I decided not to edit back those words... "Ohhhl, they'll be fine!".. :wacko:

Personally, i'd procrastinate when its convenient for me... and when nothing else is in jeopardy.

Cik Bedah

Temerloh....

yeah...and thats why procrastination feels so good... the feel is like the busy world trynna tell me: "Stop! Slow down, You move too fast!"..

I mean we really don't know our future..we don't know when we will have a chunk of time to do nothing at all, which we dont guarantee that we have that 'time to do nothing at all'..