Sign in to follow this  
MacIdiot

Imac Mini. The Good N The Bad.

i'm planning to sell my iMac G4 n buying a new iMac Mini. so ade sape² tau baik dan buruknye iMac Mini ni ek? lasi satu, b4 dis my iMac G4 using a PowerPC processor so kalo angkat iMac mini dah tuka kepada Intel processor. so camne ngan software² (including 3rd party software) yang sedia ada? betul ke kalo aku tuka pada Intel punye processor, nanti semua installer utk PowerPC punye tak ble pakai? sila la bantu saye yang tak pandai ni yerk. :blush:

Salam,

First of all, what's an iMac Mini? Let's take a look at Apple's current line:

504064042_c4170c7eae_o.jpg

So you either mean an iMac OR a Mac Mini. So which one is it?

So I'm just gonna assume you meant to say that you currently have an iMac G4 and wanna sell that to get yourself a new Mac Mini. Am I right?

Kebaikan Mac Mini:

1. Runs on Intel Core Duo microprocessor, so lebih laju dari PPC G4.

2. Since it uses an Intel microprocessor, you boleh install Windows on it, either via Bootcamp OR through virtualisation like Parallels.

3. Mac Mini is the cheapest mac in the product line. It is small and compact. Tapi you perlu supply your own monitor, keyboard, & mouse.

Keburukan Mac Mini:

1. Walaupun guna Intel, namun the maximum speed for a Mac Mini is only 1.83Ghz.

2. Maximum RAM you can put in it is only 2GB.

3. It uses integrated graphic chipset (Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM) which means that the graphics performance is not that great.

Software PPC?

Software PPC should be able to run on an Intel mac. Tapi it does not run natively, but rather, it emulates the PPC code into Intel code through a built it emulator called Rosetta. So basically PPC software isnyallah bleh jalan, tapi ada slow sket.

My advice is to list all the applications (software) that you use, and then check kat company yang buat software itu sama ada they have a Universal Binary version of the software. If it does, you can download the UB version and it should run natively on both Intel and PPC based macs.

Sekian.

err.. mac mini it is. my bad. hehe :rolleyes:

ques:

1) integrated graphic chipset <-- issit built in which meant i cant upgrade it 2 sumthin faster/better? owh btw, i'm a graphics student n i occasionally used 3D software such as Lightwave n Maya 3D. so wit dat kind of graphic card ble jalan tak dat kind of software?

2) bein a typical malaysian meself, using a [lanun] softwares is a must. so rase²nye ada can tak dapat softwares yang pakai serial no. tipu tu ek for the new mac mini?

Salam,

1) Integrated graphics is the opposite of a dedicated graphics. Dedicated graphics adalah macam graphic cards Nvidia or ATI yang boleh didapati di pasaran. Dedicated graphics mempunyai their own VRAM (Video RAM), so they can handle graphics better, freeing the main RAM for other things. But Integrated graphics pula adalah graphics processors yang tiada VRAM. Maka dengan itu, they will share sedikit dari your main RAM to process the graphics. Contohnya, if you have 512MB RAM, maybe 1/3 of that will be used for the graphics. This means you have less RAM for other applications. Kalau nak graphics okay, you bleh upgrade jer RAM kepada yang lebih tinggi - contohnya 2GB. You cannot upgrade an integrated graphics sebab ianya di-hard-wire-kan dalam computer.

So for 2D graphics, an integrated graphics in the Mac Mini is fine. Namun untuk aplikasi 3D, it will suffer a bit, especially if you are running softwares such as Lightwave and Maya. Mungkin bleh jalan, tapi tak smooth lah, dan mungkin sangkut2 as your 3D work becomes more complex.

2) Selalunya people who uses macs jarang [lanun] stuff. Mungkin juga kerana tak brapa banyak software untuk di-[lanun]. Atau juga sebab kebanyakkan Prosumers (Professional Consumers) like film makers .etc who uses macs beli software original dan takkanlah nak kasi [lanun] kat orang lain. Mac and windows are two different environments where mac users tends to buy stuff and windows users tends to [lanun]/copy/ciplak stuff.

My advice is, kalau perlu sangat software2 berkenaan, cuba try cari melalui torrent and look for the mac version. Mungkin ada, mungkin tiada.

Sekian

understood. thanks a lot bro :rolleyes:

so mac mini it is. ade sape² interested nak beli iMac G4? hehe

Edited by MacIdiot

ahmadazwa, permission untuk letak info pasal mac mini ko tu kat dalam FAQ mac yang kene pin kat forum ni. cheers

Edited by C-Fu