coisox

Ipcc 2008 Grant Winner

QUOTE(LanoX @ Nov 18 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow.. I saw your portfolio and you've a lots of experience in game industry. Perhaps you can share with us or your opinion on how to be a successful independent game developer. biggrin.gif

1. Never say die.
2. Don't depend on government for funds, most of the time it's about connections not merit.
3. Work a part-time or full-time job to fund your game, no need to rush.
4. Once you got a polished product while juggling full-time job, it will help your portfolio for future prospects either as an external contractor or better bargaining chip with a publisher/portal. Might even help your job portfolio or application to develop for other platforms. Returns are not necessarily always financial immediately.

If you forever depend/wait for funding, your game will never complete. If your game failed, where're you going to find another source of funding ? Always have your own steady source of funding, whether it comes from your day job, part-time job, or freelance/external contract work. Scale down your projects, don't be too ambitious. Gunbolt was too ambitious for 1 man, don't follow my example.

Do not allow others to tell you if you're fit to develop games or not. Nobody has the right to judge you. They may deny you funds, but they can never deny your passion.

Try to be truly independent. Don't allow gatekeepers of government funds shut you out just because they themselves failed and now wormed their way into positions of power. Read relevant forums by experienced individuals overseas. Not all local developers can offer you any significant advice since most are struggling themselves and have burned up funds without showing anything for years.

I still don't consider myself successful yet because I still have got a lot to learn. I learned how not to rely on funding from anyone but myself. My next step is to learn how to monetize what I've developed without depending too much on portals, which already has too much monopoly/power and has started locking out access from outside developers.

This industry is going to be a tough one. Consolidation has occured and it's dominated by the big boys now, even in the casual games market. Eventually you'll have to learn not to depend on the portals.

But there is still hope.

1. Pay attention to MAC platform.
2. Pay attention to Iphone.
3. Pay attention to Google Android.
4. Pay attention to XNA community.
5. Pay attention to Flash and advertisements.

1. Pay attention to MAC platform.
2. Pay attention to Iphone.
3. Pay attention to Google Android.
4. Pay attention to XNA community.
5. Pay attention to Flash and advertisements.

Are these ur priority? Why MAC?

From 5 points above... I currently pay attention to point no. 5 only... biggrin.gif

By the way.. to Coisox.. why I can't open your MIG website...? Edited by LanoX

QUOTE(Coisox @ Nov 19 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ho ho... tengah transfer hosting. DNS blum resolve. tunggu laa 2-3 hari lagi.

Owh.. jadi ler nak pindah rumah yek.. balik Malaysia.. hehehe biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Coisox @ Nov 19 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these ur priority? Why MAC?

Because MAC is very deprived of games, and MAC users tend to be very supportive of developers who write games on the mac, unfortunately I made a mistake of not taking them into consideration. You get more relative sales from mac than windows even though your final conversion rate might be equal, but don't forget the mac market is not as big as windows but also less competition. It's easier to get listed in Apple store for mac games than Iphone nowadays.

QUOTE(LanoX @ Nov 19 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From 5 points above... I currently pay attention to point no. 5 only... biggrin.gif

It's good enough as long as it's your comfortable level. As long you're hitting one of the 5 you should be fine. The windows only downloadable approach is getting saturated and also due to portals locking out others and too many good submissions. Check out mochi ads and other flash embedded AD APIs.

Flash is very good and could solve your platform issues. Better/wider reach but the catch is you might have problems charging for flash games unless of course you plan to make them into exe projectors and your game does not require very graphic/speed intensive approach.

If you're into flash, must pay attention to flash 9 because now they've started to compile natively using some sort of JIT compiler in the runtime, making your code near native speed as if it were written in C/C++. It might also started to support hardware acceleration.

I see a fine future for flash 9++ but of course you'll have to use bitmaps instead of vectors to take advantage of any optimizations/acceleration from hardware.

tak. memula dah success pindah ke penanghosting (2-3 jam laa gak) pehtu baru aku tau configuration apache dia tak boleh terima permalink. so aku transfer ke hosting overseas gak but so far a little bit faster.

It might also started to support hardware acceleration

Hmmm how to say... I believe I've played several flash games (offline version) that utilize my GPU as they can't be run on older machine with onboard GPU (eg. Pentium 3 with XP SP2).

Ever heard of "Garden Defense"?
Requirements: Windows 2000/XP/Vista, 80MB Hard Drive Space, 256MB System RAM, DirectX 8.1 or higher, Accelerated 3D Graphics Card

Or maybe that game wasn't Flash based? But it use vector. What else beside Flash? Edited by Coisox

QUOTE(Jason Chong @ Nov 19 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's good enough as long as it's your comfortable level. As long you're hitting one of the 5 you should be fine. The windows only downloadable approach is getting saturated and also due to portals locking out others and too many good submissions. Check out mochi ads and other flash embedded AD APIs.

Flash is very good and could solve your platform issues. Better/wider reach but the catch is you might have problems charging for flash games unless of course you plan to make them into exe projectors and your game does not require very graphic/speed intensive approach.

If you're into flash, must pay attention to flash 9 because now they've started to compile natively using some sort of JIT compiler in the runtime, making your code near native speed as if it were written in C/C++. It might also started to support hardware acceleration.

I see a fine future for flash 9++ but of course you'll have to use bitmaps instead of vectors to take advantage of any optimizations/acceleration from hardware.

Yeah.. I am currently learning on how to monetize flash games and experimenting few other approach such as using MochiAds API, Kongregate etc. There is also a good medium to sell game license in flashgamelicense website. Whether you are a developer looking for the right buyer for your creation or a sponsor looking for the perfect game to fill an empty spot on your site, this is a good website to consider.

QUOTE(Coisox @ Nov 19 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tak. memula dah success pindah ke penanghosting (2-3 jam laa gak) pehtu baru aku tau configuration apache dia tak boleh terima permalink. so aku transfer ke hosting overseas gak but so far a little bit faster.

Owh.. nasib baek aku tak pindah ke situ... nanti tambah lagi kena tunggu nak tukar balik hosting.. hehehe biggrin.gif Edited by LanoX

tu aa... memang buang masa gile aaa.. naik darah aku. nak dump SQL from previous hosting punya laa lama (thx to screamyx). tapi sayang aaa tak dapat pakai penanghosting. aku suka gile server diorang yg laju tu. nak contact support mintak tukarkan setting apache, macam susah je. sebab dulu pernah contact tapi tak berbalas.

QUOTE(Coisox @ Nov 19 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tu aa... memang buang masa gile aaa.. naik darah aku. nak dump SQL from previous hosting punya laa lama (thx to screamyx). tapi sayang aaa tak dapat pakai penanghosting. aku suka gile server diorang yg laju tu. nak contact support mintak tukarkan setting apache, macam susah je. sebab dulu pernah contact tapi tak berbalas.

Ko tak try contact diorang ker.. i mean by phone call... hehehe. setakat hantar e-mail, berapa kerap ler diorang nak baca... biggrin.gif