Sign in to follow this  
butterfly_purple

Lack Of Communication Skills

Just want to share an experience regarding communication skill. I believe that not all of us, especially malay fluently can speak in English. Actually to correct a vocabulary or grammar of somebody is good but if the person didn’t want to communicate or practice the language that is a major problem. I’m not too good in writing English but I’ve try to improve it.

Thank god that I don’t have to take a long rest after graduate. I’ve started my career in education sector. I’m not teacher or lecturer but as course coordinator. I have to organize Graduate Training Scheme for unemployed graduate. So to make in short, what can I say is our graduate especially malay is very poor in communication skills. I’m just shocked when I go through their application and the result for their SPM especially their English subject is excellent. The question is, if these graduates are good in English why they didn’t get job? Anybody can answer me for that question.

Just imagine, I’ve graduate my studies the same year with the others, but why they didn’t get any of job? Is it because of salary? They are too choosy?

3 month with these students, pity on them. I never see a positive result from this scheme. They didn’t improve their self to be better and the communication still in lower level. I’m bit frustrated with them when I’ve secured 2 to 3 big company to interview them. At last the interviewers have to agree with me that, these graduates can’t speak or communicate in English and the important is they didn’t try to communicate.

Anybody want to comments about this Graduate Training Scheme Programme?

Couldn't say more because it is all depends on them...Look,we have to be completely ready to step up the next phase.And what i see is,we tend to be hoping..Look on yourself.What are you capable of?And expect something that you can with your skills and your own capability.

Never ever think about the impossible if you are a dreamer.And never ever dare to do something if you are too afraid to do it!Remember,you won't be able to achieve unless you try.Its all right to be stupid now,not to forever...

And for the thread starter,I got what's in your mind..Feeling pity on them won't help.It is they themselves try.Don't feel so sorry about that.Its normal..We give an opportunity to them,and they waste it.All that I can say is,it shows stupidity of those who were given an opportunity,but waste it all....

They are fresh graduates,and they are capable of learning new things,especially mastering english which I find not too hard.Nonetheless,it is up to them.No one is able to help you unless you do it yourself!Although it may sounds a bit cruel,but thats the facts.You want to change the world,you change yourself first!

This problem maybe due to lack of self confidence too. They scared that people will look down on them if they make mistakes in using the appropriate words in communication.But the forgot that human makes mistakes...hm...

a (MELAYU) course coordinator who complains about lack of english for MELAYU,

who can't speak english.

which asinine educational institution accepted you?

...which asinine educational institution accepted you?

There is absolutely no need to question so lowly of a person who merely stated an opinion/observation C-Fu !!

We are respectful human beings and we will do our best to speak and type in respectful manner as much as we all so proudly announce how respectful we are !

Observe the fine line.

Cik Bedah

Temerloh

Yes Cik Bedah, but if you oh-so try to observe the fine line as well, that person is supposedly giving an opinion about grammer when he should know better.

A course coordinator! Ranting about English! Pointing Malays of their inability, while forgetting about the other four fingers pointing to who. Am I the only sane person here who gets the irony?

Do you trust an English teacher who can't write in English?

Observe as well :) Quid pro quo my dear.

isnt course coordinator the one who do college/institute marketing??? they find potential candidate and guide them about study loan and all...is it? My friends work as a course coordinator too at some local college in Seremban. Got few friends doing this job as a part-time, definitely not a carreer path they wanted too. Just another fancy name for marketing part ...no offense ok

p/s: Pardon my intrusion, please proceed... :)

Yes my dear, we have standards.

As do institutions. More so for educational institutions. Even more so, for important jobs such as a course coordinator.

Funny that you wanna talk about standards. A course coordinator, Malay I presume, has absolutely zero substance to criticise the level of English among other Malays.

No matter how apologetic he might be. Now now, don't you mix irony and rudeness dear; these two are completely different issues altogether.

You wanna talk about my rudeness? FINE, let's talk. But don't ignore the fact that people are trusting their daughters' and sons' education and future to him, the very person that can't do jack about his graduates not knowing English to an acceptable level.

Anyhoo, I still want to know which [insert word here] educational institution accepted him. Still a valid question, IMHO

Those who graduated from our higher institution learning know the fact that there is a lack of communication skill amongst students. The art of public speaking is not cultivated because of their mentality, low self-confident and culture itself.

Edited by LanoG

Dear, of course you're talking about standards of respect or whatever you wanna call it.

But that is about me. OK, so whaddaya want me to say? That I'm rude? Sure. That I appologise? Sure, though I betcha gonna say I don't mean it :)

The point is, you are trying oh so very hard to detract the issue here that I bring up. Or is my problem good enough for you to ignore the irony of this whole thing here :) I don't know. All I know is you so conveniently don't even want to touch the irony issue that I said.

I mean, you don't even want to know where is she/he based from, for goodness sake! What is that all about. Dedicating half an hour to compose a post for me, what you want me to feel touched or something? That I acknowledge that I'm rude, and you are better? Or what exactly do you want me to do?

So can we start talking about the standard of the workforce of OUR educational institution now? Or do you still need ammo to feed your incessant anger :) joking of course.

Because you see, it is not the teachers' and only the teachers' job to educate. It is the INSTITUTION, which means even the course coordinator have to solve the problems in his or her own way. If English is really that bad, then structure the course as such that students REALLY learn and achieve the targeted English level that they want!

Not lambasting the students while he or she is just the same.

Edited by C-Fu

man..this will lead us nowhere..cik bedah is definitely showing off her anger and protest in all her posts here..but i do think it is not fair for the thread starter k..as he/she doesn't even care about c-fu statement unto him/her..

Owhh this would go on and on and on. And please, do not confuse Cik Bedah with Butterfly Purple, and vice versa. I talked about MANNER, Butterfly Purple talked about the title of the thread. There is a huge difference there. So, if you are jumping out of your seat to reply this post, make sure it is about MANNER. I DO NOT CARE about your opinion on the matter of this thread

so, it is much appreciated if you open a new thread talking about manner and dedicate it specially to c-fu and all the no mannered people of putera.com..

Because you see, it is not the teachers' and only the teachers' job to educate. It is the INSTITUTION, which means even the course coordinator have to solve the problems in his or her own way. If English is really that bad, then structure the course as such that students REALLY learn and achieve the targeted English level that they want!

agree with this..

I do think there is some kind of lack of communication skills among graduates these days. I do not have much first hand experiences like Butterfly Purple does regarding encountering these grads, but i do see somewhat reluctancy among these grads during communicating. May i point out that communication is not only about language and fluency. It is also about conducting oneself during communication. This can be broken down to confidence, comfortability, reasonable humility, courage and a few others. Ultimately, communication is a big skill. And it takes quite a lot to achieve a certain level of good communication. Good communication, not just mere communication, because babies communicate too.

Then there is the medium of communication to think of, the language. Although language is not the only component in communication, it is certainly the singlemost important component in communication. One has to know a language to communicate. Sign language is a language.

Here is English language that seems to receive a lot of attention from the crowd. The issue of Malay graduates and their English. I am not sure how statistical to say that Malay grads commonly lack English fluency. But go deeper, i think we will see more of a rooted problem. Low self-confidence that comes from how one is brought up and educated and the almost-taboo-to-be-discussed, culture. Then there is the issue of self-identity where one does not know the right place and time to use English and more oftenly, tend to speak English all the time, and not even care about improvement and social sensitivity. Quite funny, the ones of the latter tend to have more self confidence when communicating, sometimes overly confident. The ones of the former however, display a range of self confidence, from zero to sufficient.

However, little me does not have any opinion or information on that Graduate Training Scheme Programme that Butterfly Purple pointed out. But it does sound good though. Although, does it serve the purpose ? Anyone?

Choc-covered cake of love to you all ..

Cik Bedah

Temerloh .. always ..

Edited by abedahmatusin

Why don't you delete your nagging posts now dear, since you are so hell-bent on "caring this thread?" :)

So is there a timeframe as to when are you gonna stop lecturing or educating us about (your) mannerisms?

You want brutal honesty? Read my first post in this thread dear. Same thing like what you just did, sans the hatred, anger, and long hours of typing and editing. Oh the irony (again)!!!

STILL trying to detract from the real (ironic) issue here. STILL trying to be a communication teacher wannabe by stuffing your views on the holy mannerism into my throat as if that is your only raison d'etre for flipping out in this thread.

Which I'm sure you will remove all those soon; to prove I'm the one who don't have manners while your words are just as good as mine when you flipped out. :rolleyes: Sarcasm, of course. heheh.

Edited by C-Fu

Thank you for all the comments.

When I’m sending this post to this community forum because I’m concern about fresh graduate especially MALAY. C-Fu for your information I’m not looking down to MALAY but this is the reality that you should know. Malaysian Government introduced the scheme to unemployed graduate; it is Graduate Training Scheme (GTS) Programme. This scheme is for fresh graduate that didn’t attach to any of job for 6 month. Each of the students gets pocket money, RM 500 during this training.

Let me explain more about this scheme. All the application for GTS submitted to Human Resource Development (PSMB) for their approval. As a training provider that been approved by the PSMB we don’t have any authority to simply take students but when recruiting, have to follow the requirements stated. PSMB have to pay to the training provider and to students that attend this programme. The role of training provider, we have to deliver all the modules that been compiled for each of the Certificate. Besides, we also have to provide hostel, transportation and other facilities for GTS students.

C-FU, this is the way that Malaysian Government tried to improve the image of our Fresh Graduate in Malaysia. This programme is not for Malay only but for all fresh graduates in Malaysia. I think you have to be in the workshop that you can see and feel the environment, than u can do judgments. How the trainers getting bored with this students, everything’s have to be delivered to them without their initiative to explore. The frustrated feeling when you conduct an interview session for them with banking sector, financial institution and the result out of 40 students only 1 student get the vacancy. This also showed that we as a training provider can’t deliver and help them. Since that I told you this matter, I should tell you more about this programme. All the students have to do industrial training; this is after the 3 month theory classes. I don’t know how to tell you but a lot of excuses and problem from the students if we send them to places that they not familiar. “Kak, boleh tak buat praktikal kat kampong saya, tak nak tinggal jauh la dari family?â€, “Kak, saya nak buat praktikal kat kedai runcit boleh tak?â€, “Kak, kalau boleh nak buat admin saja la tak nak buat marketing, tak pandai cakapâ€, “ Suami saya tak bagi buat praktikal kat kl, buat kat kampong boleh tak?â€, “ Kak, saya tak nak la pergi company tu, kena cakap bahasa inggeris saja.†. “Kak, tak nak la pergi company tu, kena naik bas 2 kali, tak larat la.†.So C-FU, can you understand my feelings now, when you are trying to help with sending them to a good company and at last the students reject. I just want to ask you, if you at my place and more than hundred students give this kind of problem, what you are going to do?

Which asinine educational institution accepted me? I’m proud that to tell you that I have Diploma and Bachelor Degree from Universiti Teknologi Mara. In fact, this university helps me a lot to improve my communication skill and this personal view. I never unemployed after graduate and this is my 1st job as a permanent staff with 30 years experienced private educational institution in Malaysia and I’m doing graphic design as my freelance. I’m not really expert but this is the platform for me to maintain my knowledge about graphic and my side income. So C-FU, now you know which educational institution that accepts me and hopes that make you satisfied.

Slvrchair, you are trying to explain about the course coordinator, I’m not attaching to that area. Yes, I’m recruiting students but not for Diploma or guide those to apply for loan. My post involved in corporate students. The programmes that I’m coordinate are professional programme and corporate training. Course Coordinator is the key person that coordinates certain programme. They will involve starting from class timetable, examination result, and submitting students’ assignments to lecturers and other administration work. Course Consultant or marketing executive, they consult students that want to study in the college and they will help the inquiry starting from introduced certain programme; explain about the process of the application, mode of payment, road tour to the college. So, I hope you can understand between course coordinator and course consultant. This job can be good starts for a career that we want develop our communication skill and self-confidence.

I never say that I’m good in English but still in learning process. Hope my explanations make everybody clear and satisfied.

From my opinion, the only way to cultivate malaysians into speaking good english is to revamp the entire education system.

Malaysia emphasize too much on malay language and culture which proves to a disadvantage to certain things. I have heard the way malaysians speak and gosh, some of them is so horrible! No pun intended btw.

But then again, this is just my opinion.

Hi, sorry for interrupting....well, when i worked with this chinese cmpny, i used to speak in english so fluently, most of the times, regardless during official conversation/meeting, we prefer to speak in english.....but then i switched to this company, GLC company which most of employees are malay, they prefer to use malay language.... yeah of course we still use english, but not that often...now i think i become so stupid in english...i can still maintain my writting skill but my speaking..."hancus"....plus by i got problem with my self confidence.....so, how to think even a word when at the same time all i think is about my nervous and what ppl think about me....how to overcome this problem?? I got nervous so easily u know, especially when so many ppl, pay attention to only me...Gerun...heheheh......

Hi, sorry for interrupting....well, when i worked with this chinese cmpny, i used to speak in english so fluently, most of the times, regardless during official conversation/meeting, we prefer to speak in english.....but then i switched to this company, GLC company which most of employees are malay, they prefer to use malay language.... yeah of course we still use english, but not that often...now i think i become so stupid in english...i can still maintain my writting skill but my speaking..."hancus"....plus by i got problem with my self confidence.....so, how to think even a word when at the same time all i think is about my nervous and what ppl think about me....how to overcome this problem?? I got nervous so easily u know, especially when so many ppl, pay attention to only me...Gerun...heheheh......

koftaburger, This is the 1st company that i attached when i graduated, i'm the only malay n girl that survive for 1 1/2 years. My environment is with english language. so what can i advise to you is try to search for a effective communication skill training. This is not to improve your english but your self-confidence especially on presentation skill. Thankful that i'm attach with the training provider so i can easily attach to training that i think i really need it to improve my communication skill.

Slvrchair, you are trying to explain about the course coordinator, I’m not attaching to that area. Yes, I’m recruiting students but not for Diploma or guide those to apply for loan. My post involved in corporate students. The programmes that I’m coordinate are professional programme and corporate training. Course Coordinator is the key person that coordinates certain programme. They will involve starting from class timetable, examination result, and submitting students’ assignments to lecturers and other administration work. Course Consultant or marketing executive, they consult students that want to study in the college and they will help the inquiry starting from introduced certain programme; explain about the process of the application, mode of payment, road tour to the college. So, I hope you can understand between course coordinator and course consultant. This job can be good starts for a career that we want develop our communication skill and self-confidence.

Aaaah, now i got it, after reading your last post i get the idea ;)

p/s: most part you said about malay graduate are true...happens to few of my friends, most of them just doesn't want to at least try to improve their english...sad to say but true you know but hopefully this english corner boost a bit their interest and clear-up their mind

i been working in IT environment for 10 years. from my observation, ability to speak/communicate in english is not so important comparing to the ability to learn, understand and master IT skills.

the least requirement is that the person should be able to learn by himself from technical books which of course mostly in english. most of the people i know, usually will get 'pening' after just few pages of reading. how do you expect this people to complete the whole book ?

i've known at least 1000 people (malays) which involves directly in IT/Computing business, from schoolmates, college classmates, university, office colleagues... but i cant even find more than 2 people that i would say an expert or has excellent knowledge.

i wonder how would we; malays would be able to compete with IT professionals from India and Phillippines...