present tense:
I live here now.

past tense:
I liv[b]ed[/b] here last year.

present perfect:
I've liv[b]ed[/b] here since 1990.

ok. Edited by OngBok

[u][b]Perfect Tenses[/b][/u]
[i]The perfect tenses are used when an action or situation in the present is linked to a moment in the past.[/i]
Maknanya, perfect tenses digunakan apabila sesuatu perkara perbuatan atau situasi pada masa sekarang dikaitkan atau bersambung dengan masa lalu. Perkara yang berlaku pada masa lepas berterusan hingga sekarang. Biasanya perfect tenses menggunakan kata SINCE or FOR.

[b]Present Perfect Tenses[/b]
[i]The present perfect simple is used to discuss events that have just been completed at the moment of speaking.[/i]
Guna present perfect untuk menyatakan anda baru sahaja selesai membuat sesuatu perkara atau belum selesai.

I've just [b]finished [/b]my homework.
I haven't [b]finished [/b]my homework yet.
I haven't [b]done [/b]my homework yet.

Finished & done are past participle.

[quote name='OngBok' timestamp='1307593494' post='1069904']
[u][b]Perfect Tenses[/b][/u]
[i]The perfect tenses are used when an action or situation in the present is linked to a moment in the past.[/i]
Maknanya, perfect tenses digunakan apabila sesuatu perkara perbuatan atau situasi pada masa sekarang dikaitkan atau bersambung dengan masa lalu. Perkara yang berlaku pada masa lepas berterusan hingga sekarang. Biasanya perfect tenses menggunakan kata SINCE or FOR.

[b]Present Perfect Tenses[/b]
[i]The present perfect simple is used to discuss events that have just been completed at the moment of speaking.[/i]
Guna present perfect untuk menyatakan anda baru sahaja selesai membuat sesuatu perkara atau belum selesai.

I've just [b]finished [/b]my homework.
I haven't [b]finished [/b]my homework yet.
I haven't [b]done [/b]my homework yet.

Finished & done are past participle.
[/quote]

Tq for the explanation OngBok..but still not clear la about different of past tense and present perfect tense becaause both refered heve completed some activity

sorry my english is poor still in learning process

[u][b]Past Tense[/b][/u]

[i]The simple past tense is used to talk about actions that happened at a specific time in the past. [/i]
Past tense digunakan bila sesuatu perbuatan sudah/selesai berlaku pada masa lepas dengan menyatakan masa yang tertentu (time adverb).

I finished my homework [b]last night[/b]. (past tense)
I finished my homework [b]this morning[/b]. (past tense)
I finished my homework [b]yesterday[/b]. (past tense)
I've just finished my homework. (present perfect) Edited by OngBok

[quote name='OngBok' timestamp='1307595662' post='1069911']
[u][b]Past Tense[/b][/u]

[i]The simple past tense is used to talk about actions that happened at a specific time in the past. [/i]
Past tense digunakan bila sesuatu perbuatan sudah/selesai berlaku pada masa lepas dengan menyatakan masa yang tertentu (time adverb).

I finished my homework [b]last night[/b]. (past tense)
I finished my homework [b]this morning[/b]. (past tense)
I finished my homework [b]yesterday[/b]. (past tense)
I've just finished my homework. (present perfect)
[/quote]

means that the different is only the type and how the word use in sentences. the addition of +ed is still same right? correct me if wrong :)

[quote name='gee-shock' timestamp='1307599168' post='1069914']
means that the different is only the type and how the word use in sentences. the addition of +ed is still same right? correct me if wrong :)
[/quote]
here's what i understand:

they are used with reasons, [b]not[/b] just [u]how[/u] the verbs are used in sentences (if i can put it that way)...
the addition of "ed" or "d" in regular verbs is to form past participle and past form...past participle are needed to form present perfect...past form are used to form past tense(simple past)...
and [i]past particple[/i] is not [i]past form[/i](used in past tense) even though there are almost identical...past participle of irregular verbs is often different(e.g: eat<--basic form, ate<---past form, eaten<--past particple, eating<--present participle, to eat<---infinitive)...

to form a present perfect tense:
subject(e.g: I) + auxiliary verb(e.g: have) + past participle(e.g: worked)

while simple past tense can be formed as of:
subject(e.g: I) + past form(e.g: worked)

we [b]cannot[/b] use present perfect tense in a sentence with specific time expressions(e.g: last night, last week, yesterday, etc)...present perfect is used to tell about an action that took place at [b]an unspecified time[/b] whether it happened before now, up until now, etc...
but we can use them with unspecific time expressions(e.g: once, before, several times, since, etc)...

while past tense can be used with specific and unspecific time expressions...

//please correct me if i'm mistaken...this is my understanding of these two verbs Edited by betik

[quote name='betik' timestamp='1308213994' post='1070255']
here's what i understand:

they are used with reasons, [b]not[/b] just [u]how[/u] the verbs are used in sentences (if i can put it that way)...
the addition of "ed" or "d" in regular verbs is to form past participle and past form...past participle are needed to form present perfect...past form are used to form past tense(simple past)...
and [i]past particple[/i] is not [i]past form[/i](used in past tense) even though there are almost identical...past participle of irregular verbs is often different(e.g: eat<--basic form, ate<---past form, eaten<--past particple, eating<--present participle, to eat<---infinitive)...

to form a present perfect tense:
subject(e.g: I) + auxiliary verb(e.g: have) + past participle(e.g: worked)

while simple past tense can be formed as of:
subject(e.g: I) + past form(e.g: worked)

we [b]cannot[/b] use present perfect tense in a sentence with specific time expressions(e.g: last night, last week, yesterday, etc)...present perfect is used to tell about an action that took place at [b]an unspecified time[/b] whether it happened before now, up until now, etc...
but we can use them with unspecific time expressions(e.g: once, before, several times, since, etc)...

while past tense can be used with specific and unspecific time expressions...

//please correct me if i'm mistaken...this is my understanding of these two verbs
[/quote]
waaa xfaham.. boleh translate x bg senang paham sorry...actually we have how many type of verb?

[quote name='gee-shock' timestamp='1308232800' post='1070267']
waaa xfaham.. boleh translate x bg senang paham sorry...actually we have how many type of verb?
[/quote]
OK..nak bagi senang faham, nie cerita pasal verbs.
verb asasnya ada 4 kumpulan.

simple present | progressive | simple past | past participle

[b]Irregular verb[/b]
do | doing | did | done
cut | cutting | cut | cut

[b]Regular verb[/b]
work | working | worked | worked

Kalau regular verb, kebanyakan bentuk simple past sama dengan participle
Beza dengan irregular verb, tiada formula yang khusus.
Kena hafal.
OK.

Contoh:
Soalan - where did she go yesterday?
Jawapan perlu kepada past tense
Yesterday she went to hospital.

Soalan - have you ever been to mountaintop?
Jawapan perlu kepada present perfect tense.
I've ever been to the mountaintop (tapi aku lupa bila)
I've never been to .........

ok. Edited by PowerRootTongkatAli2011